Since the 16th century at least nine trades have advanced the interests of trade and the trades persons in the city of Dundee. At that time the electorate was essentially divided into two groups: the Merchants and the Tradesmen. Regulations required for the trades to look after the poor and sick and laid down standards to control the price of goods and the quality of the workmanship.
The craft incorporations were led by a Deacon Convener, a position that is still held today.
Nowadays we exist as a group of incorporated socially conscious community organisations who keep our individual heritage alive and raise money for charitable causes.
We give out c£100k p.a. to mainly educational initiatives and to support the arts, heritage, culture and people in need.
We favour projects that respond to a well-researched and clear need, provide intervention based on evidence of what works, are able to demonstrate value for money and have a clear understanding of short-term effects and long-term impact of the intervention they propose.
Generally, we value projects that develop, expand and replicate a tried and tested approach but we are also interested in supporting creative solutions to problems which seem to be entrenched and elude resolution.
Our funding priorities:
- The advancement of the arts, heritage, culture or science to include support appropriate to the Nine Incorporated Trades of Dundee
- The advancement of citizenship or community development
- The prevention or relief of poverty
- The advancement of education
- The advancement of religion
- The advancement of health
What we do not fund, generally:
- Individuals or Grant making charities
- Loans and deficits
- Staff salaries
- Retrospectively, i.e. costs already incurred prior to receiving a decision from us
When to apply:
We operate a rolling programme and applications are considered every three months.
Application form for our grant programme
Please ensure that you are eligible to apply, and do not appear on the list of exclusions. If you are at all in doubt, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting an application.